Tracking legislation in Washington is an important feature that WQA offers members. The Federal Government Affairs Committee assists WQA's Government Affairs Department in prioritizing key bills and regulatory initiatives. For example, the committee:
- Helps the association decipher confusing federal legislation such as the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA)
- Provides recommendations on the association’s advocacy agenda. Specific recommendations have included WQA participate on federal coalitions, partner with other organizations, and target specific congress members and federal agencies.
- Guides WQA’s DC representation on the impact of proposed federal legislation on the industry and WQA’s stance on the issue.
- Manages the efforts of WQA with respect to any legislative or regulatory matters that impact the industry
- Coordinates with the Water Science Committee with respect to the development of standards and with respect to the development of WQA positions on issues that require scientific input
- Provides semi-annual reports to the Board of Governors
What We Are Looking For:
- WQA member individuals - all categories (manufacturers, suppliers, dealers, allied) and sectors (residential, commercial, industrial)
- Passion for governmental advocacy with a willingness to participate in legislative outreach events
- Experience addressing federal regulatory issues and reviewing draft legislation or rules, not required
- General knowledge of technical issues affecting our industry
- Strong communication skills
- Strong relationship-building skills for meeting with government officials and joining coalitions
Frequency of Meetings:
- In Person Meetings: WQA Convention & Exposition, WQA Mid-Year Leadership Conference
- Conference Calls: As needed
Staff Liaison: Government Affairs Director David Loveday
Look for the next open Call for Volunteers in January 2021.